Tuesday 17 April 2012

Double Page Spread Research.

Here is some researched I have done for my double page spread. I have thought about some ideas I would like to include just from looking at front covers and contents pages. I have done some research so I can figure out and get more ideas for it. As it is the biggest part of making my magazine, it needs to be one of the best.


This double page spread has caught my eye because of the imagery and the big bold quotation added. These two things are the main attention of the whole of the double page spread. The reason for this seems to be becasuse of the way it is laid out and because of the striking colours used. The colours used like in most magazines are the modern colours. But in some magazines, these colours are used in a boring way. But for this double page spread, these colours are very attractive in a certain way and have been done this way on purpose. Using a celebrity in a magazine will really get readers involved with the magazine and want to find out gossip in every issue, with probably all different celebrities. This would be a big help to the celebrity themselves, as if the celeb isn't popular, as Lily Allen isn't so much anymore, readers would like to know the inside scoops of them and the goss to spread to others. This of course is where the word of mouth becomes useful. A lot of readers may just like to know a celeb better. The way the quote is worded, makes the reader want to read on to find out more. It is helpful when the quotation is set out the way it is on this double page spread. The background of this page is just a plain white, which is one of the modern colours. White is a bright colour and stands out everywhere, and also makes things stand out. In this case, because of there being so much black and white, the creator of this magazine has used the white as a background so that everything on this double page spread will not only stand out, but will stand out clear. Even though there is only small text, and is quite boring, the quote will make the reader want to read on and read the artical which will be underneath. I think that by doing that, it is risky as the text underneath is very boring compared to the quote. But as the quote is very interesting and the text underneath is only short, I would personally read on. The quote also stands out extremely because it is covering up both of the pages on the double page spread. The modern colour scheme is very colour co-ordinated. Not only I think they have done this on purpose, but I think they have done it to colour co-ordinate well with Lily Allen's clothing. The image that is used isn't too over the top, this means that the readers can relate to a normal everyday person, rather than a typical celebrity. I think that this double page spread is organised well, and the creator has done it very creatively.


I really like the look of this double page spread. I think that it has its very unique ways. For example, including the big red L in the background of the information text about Lady Gaga. here again on this magazine, the modern colours are use. This identifies that because of the image being so focused, the colours of the double page spread need to be a lot more simpler. This way the image overtakes the text so that the reader will want to read on. The only problem I think there is about this double page spread is the loads of writing and indicating it in quite a boring way. If I were to read this magazine, I don't think I would be encouraged to read all of this. This double page spread doesn't involve a title, which again, doesn't make me want to read about Lady Gaga, as to me from this magazine, she seems like a very boring celebrity with no gossip. I like how the image of Lady Gaga has been edited into greyscale. This makes the double page spread look elegant, classy and professional. The photograph of Lady Gaga is obvious to draw male and females in, as the photo expresses quite a sexual tension towards the male gender. This could be told because all she seems to be wearing is a necklace, and is covering her female parts with only her hands. There are use of drop captials which are used at the very start of an article, but on this article there are only two, which means there are only two paragraphs. Lady Gaga's name is printed in the top right hand corner of the double page spread which of course shows the reader what her name is. 'Lady' is in lowercase and also in italics, this shows a classy effect and 'Gaga' is shown in all bold lettering. To me this is in bold, so that the readers know who the celebrity is, and not to forget that she isn't just 'Lady.' By having no title or not even a quote, this may come across to the reader as Lady Gaga, just being a boring celebrity with no gossip and nothing interesting to know. For all we know, this article could just be about the whole of Lady Gaga's life.






This double page spread I thought was very unique, I really like the way it has been designed and I really like the simplicity of it. I personally think that this is one of the best simple double page spreads I have seen. I really like the way the image has been expressed and by the title of the page, it really indicates well with it. The writing added is quite boring, but as it looks like an interview I don't think it will be that bad to read. The image is only the centre of attention, along with the big title, even though the title fades out into the background, it still seems to be visable and easy to read. I like how the model in the image has dark hair, as if she had lighter hair, this page would be very boring, and not interesting like it is now. Having the image take up one side of the double page spread, makes it obvious who the article is about and having the big title shows what the story will be about. There are nothing else involved in the picture as the image itself can come across as quite naturally busy. I would say that this magazine is for a young audience which could possibly be teenagers. I think this because of the image giving off an edgy vibe. The style of the photography is very stylistic which includes a very plain background so it can stand out against the white. The model's clothing shades in colours, going from dark to light to build a contrast between the dark colours and the light. I think this double page spread is very unique, and even though realistically it is very boring, I would really like to create mine like this and show that even though it could be boring, it has an edgy affect which greats the edgy atmosphere.

This double page spread proves to me the sort of magazines I like to look at. Not by going by genre, but going by just the look and style fo the pages themselves. I really like magazines which have a lot of the modern colours which are simply black, white and grey! I have decided to get inspirtaton from this double page spread as I really like it. I don't want my photography to follow this though, as I would like to make it my own and maybe have it simpler. This double page spread is far from boring because of the imagery. The image shown is showing energetic and a lot of punk/rock. I don't like that type of genre, but I really do like the energy the image is giving off. I am not sure on what I would like to do with my photography yet, but I would like it to be simple, and for it to link well with my front cover and my contents page. The reason for this is because my magazine has been linking in certain ways because of the photography. I really like the big black bold title going all the way across the two pages as it is really obvious and stands out an awful lot even though the rest of the double page spread shares the same colours. The colour scheme is simple and soft black and white, which shows expression and importance. The reader of this magazine I think will be automatically drawn in by these elements. Having another image shown at the bottom of the pages shows something else that is important. By it being in its own box and showing blacks and whites kind of gives off that this page is giving an announcement to the magazine readers. The two pages are organised very well, as it is split off into sections to show and tell the reader what the article is all about. Even though I think a lot of it is foreign, I still think the layout is very different. I am definitely inspired by this double page spread and it has already given me ideas on what I would like my double page spread to be like. This double page spread I believe is for an audience of an older age and maybe even some teenagers can read it, but I have to think I would like to have the edgy look but for a young audience only.














































No comments:

Post a Comment